What Springfield looked like 200 years ago in the month of January

1831Joseph Rountree and family and Sidney S. Ingram, his nephew arrived. This land was 2 1/2 miles southwest. Rountree taught the first school in present-day Greene County in a log cabin around 18243 West Mt. Vernon.1833Greene County was established by the Missouri General Assembly; named for General Nathanael Greene, hero of the Revolutionary War. The first boundaries were: west, Kansas; south, Arkansas; to the east, the River Gasconade; and north, Osage Fork1849More than 135 Springfielders left Queen City in search of California gold, many died on the way and few returned.1859Sampson Bass opened the first steam mill to serve families in several counties.1863Confederates under General John S. Marmaduke made an unsuccessful attempt to capture the city.1863When he learned that Confederate General John Marmaduke was preparing to invade Springfield, Union commander EB Brown gathered the famous “quinine brigade” of the sick and wounded here.1877Springfieldian John S. Phelps, the city’s first elected governor, was the first Missouri governor sworn in to serve a four-year term.1888First free courier delivery in town. Post Office was a gallery on the southeast corner of Public Square.1899The original Union National Bank was founded by HB McDaniel.1904Organization of the Springfield Hospital Association and Training School for Nurses. The building opened on January 1, 1905, as Springfield Hospital. It later became Springfield Baptist Hospital; now Park Central Hospital.1909The Baldwin Theatre, built in 1891 on St. Louis Street, is on fire.1909More than 10,000 Springfieldians saw the first automobile race here as 10 cars drove down Boonville from Commercial Street, turned west on College Street and onto Republic and back. Only five cars finished the race and the winner was Holland Keet who completed the race in an hour and a half.1912The first Scout troop here was named Bob White Patrol, No. 11923A $5,000 gift was made to the Sisters of Mercy by DJ Landers and his father, John Landers, for the addition now being built on the St. John’s Hospital, Nichols and Main Streets.1924The creation of a collective medical clinic was announced by Drs. Wilbur Smith, Wallace Smith, Robert Glynn and about 11 associated physicians and surgeons. The headquarters will be in the Holland Building. Complete medical and laboratory facilities will be available.1924The Holland Banking Company, one of Springfield’s oldest banks, has closed its doors. The closure followed what newspapers called a ‘false rumour’. The city was more nervous than usual because the American Savings Bank closed on November 17th.1924They said the drug was spreading rapidly even among schoolchildren in other states and even here. “We don’t have drug addicts in our school system now, as far as we can find out,” said Superintendent WW Thomas.1925The combined capacity of the mills operated by Mayer Milling Co. is nearly one million barrels per year. The company’s flour is shipped to the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Spain and South America.1925John T. Woodruff, developer of some of Springfield’s leading developments, announced plans for a luxury tourist hotel, later named the Kentwood Arms, also a golf course at his Cherry Street farm, now Hickory Hills Country Club. He also built the Woodruff Building, which bears his name, and promoted many other developments, including the Colonial Hotel, the former Frisco Office Building at Jefferson and Olive, and the Sansone Hotel.1927The Bixby family of Muscle, Oklahoma purchased The Republican from EEE McJimsey and changed the name to The News. After The Leader was sold to eastern publishers, who later sold it to The News, the two factories were combined into The Leader, McDaniel and Jefferson building. The Press was founded by HS Jewell in 1929. It consolidated with Leader and the News as Springfield Newspapers, Inc., on May 4, 1933, moving to a building in Boonville and Chestnut. This one caught fire on March 27, 1947 and was replaced by the current plant.1929City Council has agreed to purchase 212 acres northwest of the Fulbright Pumping Station for a new disposal plant. This will cost $20,000 and, when developed, will replace two outdated small plants near Doling and Zoo Parks. The cost of the plant is estimated at $120,000.1929The sale of the 10-story Woodruff Building by John T. Woodruff to FX Heer of Heer Stores Co., and Heer-Andres Investment Co., was announced on January 2nd. The price is $700,000. Our paper thinks it’s the biggest deal in Springfield history.1930Springfield Motorcycle Police Officer Thomas A. Purcell stopped a car belonging to Clyde Barrow, DD Jones and Bonnie Parker. They forced him into the car. He was unharmed.1932Six Springfield and Greene County police officers were killed in the Young Brothers massacre. They were Sheriff Marcell Hendrix. Representative Wiley Mashburn and Representative Ollie Crosswhite; City Chief Detective Tony Oliver, Detective Sid Meadows and Trooper Charlie Houser.1938Flag of the City of Springfield adopted by the City Council – a horizontal bards tricolor flag with four corner stars. Its meaning in coloring was given as: red for cooperation; white for achievement; and blue for civic pride, with stars representing, respectively, religion, homes, education and industry. The flag was suggested by W. Paul Harris, a Commercial Street businessman.1952The First Congregational Church, in Benton and Calhoun, was built 49 years before the fire. The new building was dedicated on March 14, 1954 for the congregation organized in 1869.1955KTTS-TV broadcasts the first color television signal1960The outage ran from 21st to 24th January, with many people staying in shelters during the coldest part of winter.1964Opening Ceremonies for Littlon Industries–Advanced Circuitry Division, 4811 West Kearney.1970The City Council created the Board of Historic Places to designate and help preserve significant landmarks in Springfield’s history.1983Springfield Community Hospital is the city’s fifth hospital.1984Councilman Slavens is convicted of a federal obstruction charge. Slavens survived a recall election on 7 February, but resigned on 13 February.1989Probation violator LeRoy Krueger was fatally shot by Officer Don Fuhr following a foot chase.1991Gulf War Begins, Springfieldians Involved1991Frosty and snowy weather strikes; stays for a long time1991SMSU and the city have agreed to seek state funding for a $36 million civic center/basketball arena, including a parking lot.
What Springfield looked like 200 years ago in the month of January

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to top