Updates on Oxford School Massacre • 3 youths indicted for Fraser teen death • Blight near Detroit daycare center

Ethan Crumbley is back in court for his monthly adult prison assessment, the required hearing that minors residing in adult facilities must have before a judge to assess the incarcerated person’s needs.

And the Circuit Court Judge presiding over the decisions has maintained that Crumbley has everything he needs and must remain in the Oakland County facility. The virtual hearings, involving both a lawyer for the accused mass shooter and someone who monitors his health and status in prison, have been brief in recent months.

Crumbley was previously in court on August 25.

The 16-year-old’s trial was originally scheduled for September, but that was moved to after the holidays to better accommodate possible disruptions to the jury’s schedule.

It won’t be the only update expected to come from parties involved in the mass shooting that killed four children and injured several others. Attorney Ven Johnson, who represents families in the civil suit against the school, plans to hold a press conference on Thursday.

A brief release from the attorney said the 10am conference will discuss updates and “new” evidence uncovered during the shooting. He is also expected to break the timeline of the events leading up to the shooting. The parents of Tate Myre and Justin Shilling, who were killed in the shooting, will be in attendance.

Coinciding with the civil lawsuit is the expected criminal trial of Crumbley’s parents James and Jennifer.

Both remain in prison pending trial, which was adjourned until next year to make time for more discovery.

More Oxford School recordings

3 youth charged with murder in death of 14-year-old Fraser boy

Three minors are charged with murder as a result of the fatal stabbing of a 14-year-old boy in Fraser last week. Trent Redstrom and two other victims were stabbed on September 13 during a fight at a house on Garfield near Klein. Redstrom, a Fraser High School student, died.

One of the suspects is charged with felony murder, two counts of assault with a view to murder, and first-degree home burglary. The other two defendants are charged with first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, and two counts of assault and assault.

Two others were injured in the Fraser attack, including a youth with a collapsed lung. Macomb County Prosecutor Pete Lucido called the charges “tragic, appalling and unnecessary.” Three youths, a 16-year-old boy, a 15-year-old girl and a 16-year-old girl have been charged.

All are facing life murder charges, along with assault and home invasion charges in the Sept. 13 incident, where sources say the teens stormed into a home near Garfield and Klein, wearing masks and knives — and carried out their assault. A source says one of the teens involved in the incident acted in self-defense and is not being charged.

There is much more to the story that you can find here.

Stolen firearms recovered after Instagram post tips from researchers

Photos posted to Instagram helped investigators track down firearms stolen from a gun shop in Westland during a Sept. 11 break-in. According to a court file, investigators watching social media saw photos of Keijuan Watkins holding a distinctive rifle with a group of people on Sept. 16.

On Tuesday, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives searched a home on Detroit’s Forrer Street. When officers arrived at the house, Watkins was in the basement with a man and two minors.

During the search, officers found a pistol on a dresser and six rifles spread over two backpacks. Some of the weapons had altered serial numbers, and four of them were reported stolen during the break-in at Armed in Michigan, according to the court.

Keijuan Watkins (Photo: ATF)

Officers are suing Watkins for knowingly possessing stolen firearms. Local police and federal authorities have been trying to track down suspects and stolen weapons after two break-ins at C&C Coins in Dearborn Heights and Westland gun store.

Read more backgrounds about the violent crime here.

Daycare center Detroit wants remains of explosion building to be demolished

A Detroit daycare center across the street from a building that exploded last month urges the remains to be torn down. Because it is unsafe and so close to their facility, A Brighter Beginnings Learning Center wants to demonstrate it. But as is the case with multi-jurisdictional issues – there are many unanswered questions.

Video shows the building in the moments after the explosion at Schoolcraft, as intense flames and thick smoke poured out as some people walked around half clothed. Lorinda Davis, who works at the daycare, said she never saw anything suspicious at the site.

The incident was a shock and now they hope the building can be torn down, or at least boarded up urgently. The city of Detroit told FOX 2 that they are also interested in tearing down the building. There is an emergency demo alert and a contractor on standby.

All the city needs is for utilities to be turned off. DTE said the gas was shut down a while ago and it could have the electrical service shut down as early as Thursday. The city says it has contacted DTE to shut down utilities on September 12.

Hear more from the childcare official here.

University of Michigan nurses reach tentative deal

University of Michigan nurses have reached a tentative agreement with the school on a new contract two months after the old one expired.

The Michigan Nurses Association-University of Michigan Professional Nurse Council represents about 6,200 nurses, which began negotiations on a new deal between the two groups in March. The old contract expired on June 30.

According to an email from the MNA-UMPNC, the new contract includes an end to mandatory overtime, a better system for workload balance between employees and patients, and competitive wages.

“Through our months of solidarity and collective action, nurses have stood strong to reach an agreement that meets our members’ priorities to protect patients and invest in nurses so we can provide the best care possible,” said union president Renee Curtis. “MNA-UMPNC nurses would like to thank our community for all their support and advocacy throughout the months. Our elected nurse negotiation team unanimously believes this agreement is a victory for all who care about nurses and the quality of care at the University of Michigan.”

Read more here.

Live on FOX 2

Daily forecast

Can you feel the cold in the air? Because Thursday is the last day of summer, and it ushers in a temperature drop of 20 degrees from Wednesday’s highest temperature. Plan the rest of the week on the low 60s.

What else are we watching

  1. A Michigan woman pleaded guilty last year to the murder of her sister, father and two other handymen. Judy Boyer, of Farwell, admitted to killing them all with a 22-caliber rifle in October 2021. Read more here.
  2. The SMART public transport option is not only a rebranding, but also an electrification of the fleet. The company will unveil its new eco-friendly bus options at 10 a.m. on Thursday
  3. The Michigan gubernatorial race seems to be getting less competitive. A new poll of the race between Gretchen Whitmer and Tudor Dixon now shows the incumbent with a 16-point lead over her Republican challenger.
  4. An affordable housing option for veterinarians will open in Detroit on Thursday. The $38 million project will be located at Garfield at John R.
  5. Detroit law enforcement officers will call for a Peace Day in the city. From Chief James White to Sheriff Raphael Washington, as well as Crime Stoppers President and the City Council Speaker, will make a joint call for peace on Thursday.

Giveaway: Tombstone is offering free pizza – but only for people who live on this haunted street

This chance of free pizza will certainly not make you sleepy.

Tombstone, which bills itself as the official Halloween pizza brand, offers people a chance to win free pizza, but first they have to dare to live on a real Elm Street all over the United States, a Tombstone spokesperson said.

Tombstone is giving away free pizzas while supplies last and one lucky winner will win free pizzas for a year.

The giveaway will run from October 3rd through October 31st. Residents who live on Elm Street – any Elm Street in the US – and who want to participate in the giveaway can do so online.

Read more here.

Updates on Oxford School Massacre • 3 youths indicted for Fraser teen death • Blight near Detroit daycare center

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to top