Headquartered in Indianapolis, the International Medical Group (IMG) offers travel insurance that also specializes in travel medical insurance and international health insurance for people visiting the US and elsewhere. In this IMG travel insurance review, we at the MarketWatch Guide Team describe available coverage and sample rates.
IMG travel insurance overview
IMG also offers several health coverage plans for travelers, including specialized plans for students, seniors and missionaries. International student health plans in the US offer coverage from $500,000 to $5 million with $5 co-payments at student health centers. Patriot Travel plans and global health insurance policies have caps as high as $8 million.
- 100% non-refundable insured travel costs for trip cancellation
- 125% non-refundable insured travel costs for trip interruption
- $125 per person per day (maximum $500 per person) for travel delays
- $750 (maximum $250 per item) for baggage
- $150 for baggage delays of at least 24 hours
- Up to $100,000 per person for accident and illness medical expenses
Add-ons, or riders, are benefits you can include in your policy, usually for an extra fee. Below are the add-ons and optional features available on the higher value IMG plans:
- Death by accident and dismemberment
- Cancel coverage for any reason
- Change fee coverage
- Interruption coverage for any reason
- Natural disaster evacuation coverage
- Political and personal security evacuation coverage
- Coverage against damage and theft of the rented car
- coverage for pets
- Search and rescue coverage
- Sports equipment rental coverage
Below are the travel insurance policies offered by IMG.
IMG travel insurance cost
Cost of international travel insurance
We made the quotes below for a three-person trip to England. The ages of travelers are 5, 28 and 32 years old. The cost of the trip is $6,000 and the travel dates are from July 1, 2023 to July 9, 2023.
Cost of national travel insurance
Below is a quote for a two-person trip to the United States. Travelers are between 40 and 45 years old. The cost of the trip is $4,000 and the travel dates are from August 5, 2023 to August 15, 2023.
IMG Customer Reviews
Overall, IMG Global scores 4.6 out of 5 stars from nearly 7,000 reviews on Trustpilot. Here are four examples:
“This site makes it very easy to find the type of insurance I need. I’ve been using IMG for five years for all my international travel.” — so
“The process is clear and simple, and the product is well priced for a wide range of coverage. I use it for both business and personal travel.” — megan
“The application process on the website is frustrating. I had to keep clearing my cache five times to get it to work… One more time not working and I was going with someone else. Fortunately, it worked on the sixth try…” — warren
“We have never traveled to Turks and Caicos but they charged us the full amount even if we canceled more than a month before the trip!” — Luca Montebugnoli
We reached out to a representative via email for comment on the above reviews and received the following statement:
“At IMG, our mission is to be an exceptionally innovative partner that delivers creative and practical solutions, and our team strives to ‘be there’ to protect and enhance the well-being of our clients every day.
We appreciate the time our customers take to share the experiences they’ve had with our company to further connect others to the travel and health security solutions we provide for those who travel, live or work away from home.
We understand how important it is to provide a high quality service to our customers, as evidenced by our extremely positive Trustpilot reviews, and we are committed to providing each customer with the best possible experience.”
Methodology: Our Best Travel Insurance Ranking System
- Plan availability (20%): We are looking for insurers with a variety of plans and the ability to customize the policy with upgrades.
- Coverage (40%): Among the benefits scored were medical expenses, medical and non-medical evacuation, COVID-19 coverage, preexisting condition exclusion waivers, “cancel for any reason” coverage, trip interruption, travel delay time requirements, baggage delay, baggage reimbursement and financial default by a travel supplier. Special attention was paid to companies that offer unique add-ons such as extreme sports coverage, business equipment coverage and pet coverage.
- Customer service and support (30%): We look for indicators that a company is well prepared to respond to customer needs. Companies with an established global resource network, a 24/7 emergency hotline, robust mobile apps, and perks like concierge and translation services scored higher.
- Reputation (10%): We measure reputation by evaluating consumer reviews, third-party financial strength, and customer experience ratings, specifically from AM Best and the Better Business Bureau.
Taylor Medine started blogging about her experiences of earning a dollar in 2013 as a recent college grad. Eventually, that passion turned into a career studying personal finance topics and demystifying them for people like her – the average consumer. When she’s not writing, you’ll find her hunting down travel deals or trying (and often failing) at a DIY project.