Cigna’s David Cordani addresses the teen mental health crisis at the FORTUNE Brainstorm Health Conference
• Cordani unveiled new research on teen mental health and its impact on families
• Presentation of Cigna's expansion of virtual health services for behavioral therapy for teens and parents</p><div wd_resize="formatNews" wd_print_url="https://newsroom.cigna.com/cignas-david-cordani-addresses-the-teen-mental-health-crisis-at-fortune-brainstorm-health-conference?printable=1"><p>BLOOMFIELD, Conn., May 11, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Chairman and CEO of Cigna Corporation, David M. Cordani, today unveiled new findings about the growing teen mental health crisis and the impact it is having on parents, both at home and at work. work. The talk was part of a wider dialogue about the macro forces shaping the future of healthcare <em>Fortune Brainstorm Health Conference</em>moderated by Arianna Huffington, event co-chair, founder and CEO of Thrive.
“Today’s teens suffer from a wide variety of mental health problems and our new research is an important alarm bell, signaling the far-reaching implications for the health and well-being of our families, communities and businesses,” said Cordani. “We have aggressively expanded our network of behavioral health providers treating teens by 140 percent over the past five years and have purposefully expanded our virtual care capabilities through MDLIVE and other partners.”
Cigna Corporation and Evernorth, its health services company, commissioned the study Economist Impact to better understand the mental health impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on teens and their parents. The research was conducted in April 2022 and the main findings are:
- About 80% of working parents reported some impact on their teenage children’s mental health as a result of the pandemic, including new or increased levels of anxiety, depression, behavioral problems and problems with social interactions.
- Nearly one in five working parents reported a negative impact on their job performance and productivity due to concerns about their child’s mental health.
- More than half (55%) of parents reported not having enough support from their employers, and nearly 14% of all respondents reported having to leave or stay away from the workforce to meet the needs of their teens .
- Nearly two-thirds of working parents struggled to find a trusted mental health provider in a reasonable amount of time.
Recent data from Evernorth’s pharmacy benefit manager, Express Scripts, confirms these findings. From 2017 to 2021, pharmacy claims data shows a 41% increase in antidepressant prescriptions for children ages 13-19 and a 28% increase for children 12 and under.
Evernorth makes behavioral health care and resources more accessible to both teens and parents through behavioral health solutions that provide a leading national network of quality providers and innovative coaching solutions to meet the unique needs of clients. Evernorth’s behavioral health network includes MDLIVE virtual providers who can treat patients as young as 10, along with providers from Brightside, Alma, and Talkspace, among others. The network continues to grow with specialized programs that address specific behavioral issues, such as alcohol use disorders and eating disorders.
Evernorth also recently expanded its Caregiver Program to help parents meet their own needs while also providing support and resources for the care of teens with chronic or severe physical and mental health issues.
The Economist Impact surveyed 1,100 parents of teens ages 13 to 17 in the United States. Read more of the research findings here and watch the fireside conversation between our CEO and Thrive’s Arianna Huffington below.
About Cigna Corporation
Cigna Corporation is a global health care company dedicated to improving the health, well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Cigna offers choice, predictability, affordability and access to quality care through integrated capabilities and connected, personalized solutions that promote the health of the whole person. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Evernorth Companies or their affiliates, and Express Scripts Companies or their affiliates. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, complementary benefits and other related products.
Cigna maintains sales capacity in more than 30 countries and jurisdictions and has more than 190 million customer relationships worldwide. For more information about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.
Evernorth creates and connects world-class health services, including benefits management, pharma, healthcare solutions, insights and intelligence. With an open approach to collaboration across the healthcare landscape, we deliver innovative and flexible solutions for health insurers, employers and government programs. Evernorth’s capabilities are powered by our family of companies, including Express Scripts, Express Scripts® Pharmacy, Accredo, eviCore and MDLIVE, along with holistic Evernorth platforms and solutions that improve health and drive progress for people and businesses. All Evernorth solutions are maintained and provided by or through operating subsidiaries of Evernorth Health, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cigna Corporation, or third party partners. Learn more at Evernorth.com.