Get started with a confidential assessment
Everyone should know the warning signs of behavior that may indicate a developing problem.
View warning signs
- Acting withdrawn, sad or overly anxious
- Extreme difficulty getting along with friends and/or family
- Significant mood swings
- Decline in school performance
- Changes in sleeping and/or eating patterns
- Increased or persistent use of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive behavior
- Threats to self or others
- Hallucinations, paranoia or delusions
- Other sudden or extreme changes in behavior
The Avera Behavioral Health Hospital is a state-of-the-art, 154-bed psychiatric facility offering both inpatient and outpatient behavioral therapy.
Avera has more than 60 years of experience as a leader in behavioral and mental health care. This facility opened in 2006 and has recently expanded services for emergency youth care, behavioral health care, and specialty inpatient units. Patients of all ages – children, adolescents, adults and seniors – receive care in specialty units, and this is the only multi-specialty facility within 200 miles of Sioux Falls.
In this safe, serene, therapeutic atmosphere, the spaces are between visitors corridors, our main foyer and inpatient areas are detached to ensure patient care is a priority and to limit distractions. Patient rooms are private and accessible through welcoming and comfortable common areas.
Behavioral Health Urgent Care – Sioux Falls
Behavioral health care is a front door to access behavioral health services in a crisis situation.
We provide 24/7 access to care, staffed by state-of-the-art caregivers, counselors, nurses and behavioral health technicians. If you don’t know what to do or where to go in a behavioral health crisis, visit Urgent Care in Sioux Falls or call 1-800-691-4336
Comprehensive behavioral and mental health services available to everyone
Avera is proud to now offer residential addiction treatment for youth, as well as 24/7 emergency behavioral health care for all ages. The Helmsley Behavioral Health Center, a recently added four-story addition, offers more options for patients — regardless of age — to have tailored mental health care ready for them when they need it.
Helmsley Behavioral Health Center
The Helmsley Behavioral Health Center, located at Avera Behavioral Health Hospital in Sioux Falls, offers residential addiction treatment for youth, increased capacity for children and adolescents, and partial hospitalization for youth and adults.
Helping young people succeed
For the first time, Avera is offering partial hospitalization to the youth in our community. Partial hospitalization involves therapy and treatment during the day while the patient goes home at night.
Young people may spend part of their day at school and part of their day making progress in health conditions that may hinder their success in school and in life.
Those who are partially hospitalized participate in individual therapy, family meetings, and case management, and see a psychiatrist for medication management.
Watch a video tour of the Helmsley Behavioral Health Center
Addiction Recovery Services
Our addiction recovery experts understand that they are treating individuals, couples or families – not just a disease. Anyone with a substance use disorder or who may be dealing with a similar condition, such as compulsive gambling, can receive care with convenient day or evening shifts, including:
- Intensive outpatient program: An ASAM 2.1 Level of Care/Primary Treatment process consisting of group therapy sessions and individual and/or couples therapy.
- Early Intervention Group: An ASAM 1.0 level of care designed to help participants understand substance abuse, addiction, and recovery-related concepts. Group therapy is combined with individual guidance.
- Relapse Prevention Group: Designed for individuals who have completed primary treatment and achieved stability in early recovery. This group program is aimed at helping people deal with personal issues and securing the gains they’ve made in relapse prevention.
- Pain management groups: Structured group therapy designed to help individuals with medication and substance use problems, as well as mental health issues. Biofeedback treatment services are also offered if needed.
- Professional Services: Specialized help is available for healthcare professionals/recognized work force who are experiencing the adverse effects of a substance abuse or addiction-related condition.
As a member of the Hazelden Betty Ford Patient Care Network, Avera leaders, staff, patients, families and communities also have access to resources, resources and collaborative consultation from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation – the nation’s largest non-profit addiction care provider.
Addiction Care Center
Located in both Sioux Falls and Aberdeen, the Avera Addiction Care Center is a world-class residential care facility that provides inpatient addiction care for adults seeking professional help for addiction to alcohol and other drugs.
Avera realizes that addiction can also affect adolescents and has specialized services for young people, including residential treatment. Our chemical dependency counselors work with families as well as individuals. Telephone call 605-504-2222 For more information.
Partial Hospitalization Program
If you or a loved one needs stabilizing behavioral health care to prevent or reduce hospitalization, participate in Avera Behavioral Health’s partial hospitalization program.
This five-day-a-week program supports intensive comprehensive treatment for youth and adults in and around Sioux Falls, along with the flexibility to remain on an outpatient basis.
ECT treatment (electroconvulsive therapy).
ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) is a treatment for certain mental disorders in which our highly trained professionals use electrical current to induce a medically induced seizure under close supervision. ECT has been shown to be effective in the treatment of major depression, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorder. Safety, dignity, privacy, comfort and convenience are our top priorities.
Arts in healing
Experience innovative and creative healing through our Arts In Healing program. You and your therapist can choose the approaches that work best for you, including:
- Expressive therapy – Uses creative arts such as storytelling, dance, music, drama, poetry, movement and more to promote personal growth, development and healing
- Music therapy – Provides healing and expression through creating, singing and moving to and/or listening to music
- Art therapy – Focuses on using art materials such as paint, chalk, and markers to explore alternative ways to convey thoughts and feelings
- Recreational therapy – Helps reduce depression, stress and anxiety and restore basic motor confidence and social interaction skills through exercise and stretching
Avera Medical Group Psychiatry Clinics
There are offices for Avera’s major psychiatric groups, Avera Medical Group University Psychiatry Associates, and Avera Medical Group Midwest Psychiatric Medicine, making Avera Behavioral Health Hospital a one-stop location for care.
Food and drink on site: The Bistro
Located on the ground floor of Avera Behavioral Health Hospital, also known as the Light Court, is the Bistro, which offers daily breakfast and lunch specials, as well as sandwiches, soup, rolls, fruit, yogurt, snacks, coffee, and beverages. It is open Monday to Friday from 06:45 to 15:00.